Sunday, January 10, 2010

Balsamic Glazed Brussel Sprouts

I'm sure you've heard the news reports around the country that we had SNOW in Florida! Yes, that's right folks, SNOW! Training outside for this marathon is NOT exactly enjoyable for this 7th generation Floridian in these types of conditions. Especially since we got sleet, not snow. At least had we gotten some snow here the boys would have been uber excited!!

I was scheduled to run 7 MILES for my long run on Sunday. Not happening outside. Lucky for me I have a running/workout partner and we decided to take the task inside and run on the hamster wheel. Dreading it at first, the thought of going no where fast, it actually wasn't that bad. We chatted it up the whole time and cheered each other on as each mile passed by. Once we reached one hour though, the treadmill abruptly stopped, causing us both to hold on and scratch our heads until we figured out what was happening. We quickly got the treadmills cranked up again to finish our last mile. :) Yeah us!

It felt soooo good to have accomplished 7 miles. I was really nervous about it. Not cardiovascularly, but physically. My knees really bothered me last week running 6 so I was petrified of what 7 would do. Glad to report that I did great. Alabiet it was on a treadmill so the impact is NOT the same as outdoor running. Next Saturday is 8 miles, with 75 degree temps in the forecast (YIPPEE!!!) I'll definitely get to put my knees to the test then! Oh wish me the best...and say a little prayer for my knees!

Last night I made those brussel sprouts I was talking about earlier in the week. Here's the recipe:

Balsamic Glazed Brussel Sprouts

2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp EVOO
1/4 cup apple cider
1/2 cup Balsmic vinegar
1 1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and with an "x" cut on the bottom
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Boil trimmed Brussels sprouts for 6-8 minutes in a pot of water until crisp and tender. Drain water. Cut each sprout in half, length-wise. In a large skillet, heat oil on medium and saute garlic and red onion. Add apple cider, Balsamic vinegar, and Brussels sprouts.

Cook on high heat, reducing Balsamic vinegar/cider mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Plate once sauce is reduced and Brussels sprouts are tender. Serves six.
My opinion of the dish: They were really good. However, I do believe a bit tart. I'm thinking a sprinkle of a packet of Stevia would have been nice. Or even better some chopped sugar coated pecans would have been incredible on this dish.

I've gotten these two magazines this week and I'm so looking forward to digging in to see what new recipes I can try out!


Question: Are you an outdoor runner or do you prefer the treadmill?

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome Tiff!! Running on the treadmill is definitely a lot more boring than running outside, but after last week's freeze here I couldn't drag my butt outside to do it. My body is really tired right now anyway so I did an hour on the elliptical instead, but I got my Garmin yesterday (WOOHOOO!!) so I can't WAIT to try it out!!

    Those brussel sprouts look REALLY good!! To be honest I can't go near ACV anymore after having to drink it with lemon juice so often with Tony. Just the smell makes me nautious. Maybe if you left that out? What do I know though..heheheh.

    I think I much prefer running outdoors, but I don't mind the treadmill when I get to watch episodes of The Biggest Loser. I feel like Jillian is screaming at me as well as the contestants. :)

    I can't believe FL got snow...what the heck?! NC still hasn't really gotten anything! At least not where we are. My MIL posted something on facebook about that though. Craziness!!

    ReplyDelete